I'm hiking the AT!
I was a sophomore in Mrs. Stevenson’s high school English
class when I first decided “I’m going to do that. I’m going to hike the AT
someday.” We had just finished reading
Bill Bryson’s ‘A Walk in the Woods’ and I knew.
I didn’t know what, when, or how but I knew that hiking the Appalachian
trail was something for my bucket list. Fast forward 10 years later – and
someday is now! Today I officially gave my notice, and I quit my big kid job.
I’m trading in my engineering degree and steel toes for a guidebook and trail
runners. It’s f***ing go time! On March 30th, 2020 I’m going to begin
my journey of thru hiking the Appalachian Trail. That’s the exciting part, the fun part. And
part of me wants to keep this light hearted, keep it just fun and exciting, but
the other part of me wants to tell you why. The REAL reason why.
I don’t mean to be somber, and I wish this wasn’t the story
I was telling you. I really really wish it wasn’t. I would love to tell you
about how my brother and I were starting out on this adventure together, to
tell you about how he had kicked his habit.
But that’s not the case, and so this is my “why”.
It’s been almost a year since I was reminded in the worst
way that life is short and fragile. It was on March 5th a year ago
that I found out tomorrow wasn’t promised. I had just finished a twelve hour
night shift and got out of the shower. It was sometime around 7 o’clock in the
morning and my mother was calling me. It was a Tuesday. And my brother was dead.
He had been battling a drug addiction for years. Some days I
thought he was winning. See, he was smart like that, he lulled me, all of us
really, into a state of accepting it. He had bad days, but he also had really
good days. Days where I was sure he would never be someone who died from it. If
he could come to my nephew’s basketball game and Sunday brunch, he wasn’t the
type of user that could slip up. He had a bad habit, but he had it together.
That’s what I thought anyway, or maybe just what I chose to believe. Sure, on his bad days I would argue and
challenge him. We would fight, he’d get sober, and we’d make up. That’s how the
cycle went. Bad days, good days,
arguing, making up. Again and again and again. Then things started to change, I
could tell he was depressed. Something was different. He was saying things
about how he needed to get out of where he was. How he needed something to live
for. How he was proud of me. When I would check on him and ask how he was he
would say simply “I’m alive”. And my
heart was breaking for him. He was a good guy. The drug habit didn’t change
that. He just was fighting a battle and I think he was finally starting to
lose. I knew I needed to act if I wanted to try and help my big brother. The
yelling and arguing with him and telling him he needed to change wouldn’t work,
it never had in the past.
I asked him if he would quit his job and if we could hike
the trail together. It was around Christmas time, and I wanted to hike NOBO (North Bound) in
March of 2019. It was soon. I think he was toying and considering the idea when
he got into some legal implications. He was on bail conditions and couldn’t
leave the state. The discussion lead to an idea for a 2020 start date instead. It
would give us time to prep, and to plan. It made sense. He was excited! He was
going to use the next year to get cleaned up, and have something to look
forward to. Or that’s how I took it. Maybe it’s what he meant, maybe it’s what
he intended. That’s the Andrew I am going to remember. One who was excited and
knew he had things to live for. And again, I wish that was the story I was
telling you. But in a hotel room in New
Jersey on a Monday night a year ago something went all wrong. His work mate
tried unsuccessfully wake him the next morning, and my heart was broken.
So that’s my why. Because now is the time, and because this
is more than just a hike for me. It’s for my brother too. I owe it to him, to
us. Who knows if we will wake up tomorrow, let alone next year. I could push
this off, because he’s not here to go with me. I could make up a million
excuses. But how long can I push it off for before I lose the opportunity too?
Before I’m not physically able, or financially able, or if I have obligations
that prevent me going. Life is short,
now is the time. I got a very harsh reminder of that, and I’m not going to
waste it. I don’t want the hike to be in sadness for the loss of my brother, I
want it to be in joy for the spirit he had. Everything he did, he did
wholeheartedly. I remember my mother describing him as “big” in his eulogy, and
that is so fitting. He had a big heart, a big spirit, a big attitude…
everything about him. And I loved every bit of it (ok ok fine, most of the
time!)
So here’s to the next adventure in my life. Although Andrew
may not be here physically, I see signs of him. I know he’s up there looking
down at me, and cheering me on. And I’m positive he’s doing it loudly. NOBO
2020, baby!

A touching piece. I admire your spirit and drive and will live vicariously through you during your journey. Please let me know how to follow your progress.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck on your quest. I don’t have to tell you to be strong and independent; you already are. Be safe!
Life’s short and unpredictable. Embrace it. Live it. Love it.
Thank you for sharing your heart, Lexi. I’m so excited for you, I know you can do this. So brave! Godspeed, sweet soul. Our prayers will be with you and for you! Love, Kimberly Greenleaf 💕
ReplyDeleteLexi, you put into words what some can never express. It's a different life we live when a family member is an addict. The hurt, the hope, the pain, the love, the hate, the loss- all in that life we try to function through. You are strong, choosing to do this hike with him in your heart when he can't be by your side. You are an inspiration to others struggling through the same path with their loved ones. I pray this trip will be an incredible blessing to you, a time of healing and hope. A time of reflection. You are already wise beyond your years having had to grow up through difficult circumstances, but God knew Andrew before he formed him, and the struggles he'd face.There isnt anything anyone could have done to change the path he chose, or the pain he succumbed to. God knows you too, and knows your heart. Use this all as stepping stones. Trust Him. And know that you are not only taking this journey for yourself, but for all of us who walk that path with you in life, those who hurt and grieve with you. �� Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete~Gina M